Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

January is Logic Hooks Month

According to the stats for this blog, logic hooks are a popular subject amongst visitors.  As such, I figure the topic would be a great way to kick off an idea of mine that I have been tossing around for a bit.

Going forward, I will select a topic of interest, or theme, on a monthly basis.  The objective: to discuss the topic at hand in further depth throughout the month, with other posts sprinkled in between for variety.

However, this idea can only work with your assistance.  

To help, simply reply to the post announcing the month's topic (e.g. this post) and suggest a facet of said topic for discussion.  For example, perhaps you have been wanting to build a logic hook to execute an SQL query, but are unsure about how to get started.  Simply share your scenario within the comments area.  

In turn, I will select one of the suggestions on a weekly basis and provide a detailed post discussing the process involved in addressing the issue.

Now, while all suggestions are welcome, there are some rules to consider:

1. For obvious reasons, I cannot create a detailed post for every suggestion, but if time permits, I will tackle more than 1 per week.  

2. Please be as clear as possible in your description of your scenario.  If the description is not clear, I will not consider it.

3. Do not post sample code or the like.  A clear description of the goal will suffice.  

4. Some scenarios may require very specific configurations, such as custom modules, etc.  I will not be able to create mirror environments for all cases, but my response will include sufficient guidance to fulfill the vast majority (if not all) of your goal.

5. Suggestions on themes for upcoming months are welcome and highly encouraged.

Thanks and now lets have the suggestions relating to logic hooks (in the comments section)!  

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested in using logic hooks for server-side validation on record saves.

    For example, I would want a user to be prevented from closing a Task if a condition isn't met to do with the Task's child records (child records come from a custom relationship).

    The before-save logic hook strikes me as being a good candidate for this functionality, but I get stuck on creating a graceful redirect with appropriate warning text being sent back to the prior page, and without any input lost if the prior page was an edit view.

    I would also be interested if you know of a better validation solution than using logic hooks.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mark

    Thanks! I'll post something speaking to this no later than Thursday.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to everybody.

    I don't understand if you wanna help people with logichooks, or you wanna that the people put its logichook here.

    However, as soon as I can, I will put my own logichooks here.

    Thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Daniel

    It is to help people with logic hooks problems, etc., not for the purposes of creating a logic hooks library collection.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, feedback and suggestions are welcome, but please refrain from using offensive language and/or berating others. Thank you in advance.